Skip to main content

Grades & Transcripts

UW courses offered through UWHS are graded according to the same standards as used for those courses on campus. Your final grade for a course is permanent. It’s calculated into your cumulative UW GPA and appears on your official UW transcript.

You will earn both a high school and college grade for the course. These grades may be different as your instructor may have different expectations and grading criteria for the college grade.

UW Grading System

The UW uses a numerical grading system. Instructors can report grades from 4.0 to 0.7 in 0.1 increments and the grade 0.0.

In general, for credits to fulfill degree requirements at UW or be considered for transfer to another college or university, you must earn at least a 2.0 in the course. More than 90 percent of students earn a grade of 2.0 or higher on UW courses taken through UWHS. 

The numerical grades are equivalent to these letter grades.

A 4.0-3.9 B- 2.8-2.5 D+ 1.4-1.2
A- 3.8-3.5 C+ 2.4-2.2 D 1.1-0.9
B+ 3.4-3.2 C 2.1-1.9 D- 0.8-0.7*
B 3.1-2.9 C- 1.8-1.5 E 0.0**

* Lowest passing grade.

** Academic failure. No credit earned.

Credit/No Credit for CHEM 110

CHEM 110: Introduction to Chemistry is graded on a credit/no credit (CR/NC) basis, whether taken through UWHS or on campus. CR/NC grades are not calculated into a student’s GPA. No other courses offered through UWHS are available for credit/no-credit grading.

Satisfactory/Not-Satisfactory Grading Option

Students may elect to take a UWHS course on a satisfactory/not-satisfactory (S/NS) basis. A grade of 2.0 or above is converted to an “S” on your transcript, and a grade of less than 2.0 is converted to an “NS.” At the UW, a course in which an “S” is earned can count as an elective only. It can’t be used toward any graduation requirement, except toward the total number of credits required for graduation.

To request the S/NS grading option, email with your full name, UW Student ID number, course name, the course's six-digit registration number and a statement requesting to change your grading option to S/NS by the deadlines below.

Term Request Deadline
First-semester course December 6, 2019
Yearlong course March 13, 2020
Second-semester course  May 1, 2020

Academic Honesty

Students registered for UW credit through UWHS are expected to adhere to the University's standards of academic honesty. This requires that students clarify assignments and procedures with their teachers, study diligently and seek help when they need it. Any suspected misconduct will be determined in collaboration with the appropriate UW academic unit and high school.

Learn more about academic misconduct on UW’s Undergraduate Advising site.

Getting Your Grades

There are three ways you can access your final UW grades. If you set up a UW NetID, you can view your grades online through MyUW; you can order an official transcript; or you can check with your teacher. UW does not mail grades to students.

Your final grade isn’t recorded on your UW transcript until the teacher submits it to the UW after the course ends. Until that time, you’ll see an “X” after the course title on your transcript. This is just a placeholder until the final grade is recorded.

Ordering Transcripts

All UW grades and credits are recorded on your official UW transcript. If you set up a UW NetID, you can view your unofficial transcript online at no charge through MyUW. You can also order an official UW transcript online through MyUW or by returning a Transcript Request Form by mail or in-person. There is a $11 fee for each transcript copy.

For more information, see How to Order Your University of Washington Transcript.

FERPA Protection

Final UW grades are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The UWHS office does not provide grade information to students or parents/guardians. Additionally, under FERPA guidelines, the high school teacher can’t share final UW grades with parents or guardians. Parents or guardians are encouraged to speak with their student regarding the final grade earned in the course.